Stuffed plump with crab, shrimp, and pork, then deep-fried twice for maximum blistering, these rolls induced swoons from everyone at the table. Even when tightly wrapped in lettuce and herbs and dunked with abandon in chili-spiked nuoc cham, the cha gio remained unbeatably crisp, the translucent rice paper wrappers shattering with each bite.
Soon after devouring the platter of glorious cha gio, I learned from William Du, Bến Lạ’s chef and owner, that they will only available from now until April 16. After six years of serving up icy Heinekens and superb Northern Vietnamese-inflected pub grub to Little Saigon’s older male set, he is selling the place and venturing into the world of real estate. Ugh.
Consider me completely devastated, and this post a bittersweet ode to the one that got away.
Bến Lạ Restaurant
8461 Westminster Boulevard
Westminster, CA 92683
Opens at 3:30 PM daily
Orange County, you’re pretty delicious:
- Brodard Restaurant – Garden Grove
- Bruxie Gourmet Waffle Sandwiches – Orange
- Cafe Artist – Garden Grove
- Disneyland: Home of the World’s Best Corndog
- Ha Noi Restaurant – Westminster
- Ngự Bình Restaurant – Westminster
- Sidecar Doughnuts & Coffee – Costa Mesa
- The Ramos House Café – San Juan Capistrano
- Viễn Đông Restaurant – Garden Grove