Have you ever woken up with a killer craving for dumplings? I swear this happens to me every other weekend, and thankfully, I live minutes away from the best dumplings around. Though not particularly known for its dining options, Pasadena is the gateway to Chinese food heaven. I’d snag a summer home here if I were you.
To satisfy the beast this Sunday morning, The Astronomer and I passed over our beloved haunts (Mama’s Lu, Dean Sin World, Din Tai Fung, etc.) and headed to Hui Tou Xiang Noodles House. This newish spot in town came recommended by Louise and Jonathan—two very trusty bellies.
We were seated straightaway and treated to a dish of kimchi. Mostly sweet and a little spicy, the fermented cabbage offered a fine diversion as we perused the menu and placed our orders.
Showing uncharacteristic restraint this afternoon, The Astronomer and I selected just a duo of dumplings. While ordering two dishes for two people is standard behavior, this was a legitimate milestone for these two lil’ pigs. Oink.
The first dish to arrive was the xiao long bao, soup dumplings packed with pork and crab meat ($6.95). I was hoping for a rush of sweet crab meat followed by a whisper of pork, but experienced the opposite instead. The kitchen may have changed the recipe since Louise’s visit—I mean, look at that roe.
The lack of crab meat didn’t hinder my enjoyment of these xiao long bao, it just made it difficult to differentiate them from the sea of soup dumplings in the neighborhood.
Our second and final dish was Hui Tou Xiang’s signature offering, the pork hui tou ($6.95). While the soup dumplings left a little to be desired, these were as awesome as billed. The dumplings’ skins were nice and chewy with a fabulously golden sear, while the innards were imbued with onions and juicy like you wouldn’t believe.
Dumpling craving: satisfied.
Hui Tou Xiang Noodles House
704 W Las Tunas Drive, Ste. 5
San Gabriel, CA 91776
There’s more delicious Chinese (and Vietnamese) food to eat in San Gabriel:
- Bánh Mì & Chè Cali – San Gabriel
- Chung King Restaurant – San Gabriel
- Cơm Tấm Thuận Kiều – San Gabriel
- Ducks Restaurant – San Gabriel
- Golden Deli – San Gabriel
- Hà Tiên Quán – San Gabriel
- Kingburg Kitchen – San Gabriel
- Lucky Noodle King – San Gabriel
- Luscious Dumplings Inc. – San Gabriel
- Nha Trang – San Gabriel
- Omar’s Xinjiang Halal Restaurant – San Gabriel
- Phở Nguyễn Hoàng – San Gabriel
- Saigon’s Bakery & Sandwiches – San Gabriel / San Jose
- Sweethome Grill – San Gabriel
- Ton Chan Ramen – San Gabriel
- Vietnam House – San Gabriel
- Vietnam Restaurant – San Gabriel
- Wedding Banquet Redux at New Capital Seafood
- Yum Cha Cafe – San Gabriel