Before boarding a high-speed train to London followed by a flight back to Los Angeles, we made time for one last lunch in Paris. For our final feast in the city, I desired nothing more than simple, perfectly made crêpes. While most visitors head to Breizh Café or Josselin for this Breton specialty, I took David Lebovitz‘s advice and sought out West Country Girl in the 11th arrondissement.
Here, at this minimally appointed restaurant on the Passage Saint-Ambroise, Breton-native Sophie Le Floc’h makes an assortment of sweet and savory crêpes.
There’s also plenty of cidre to go around, another Breton specialty.
Mom and I were in similar moods this afternoon and ordered nearly identical crêpes. Her buckwheat parcel included a sunny side egg, Swiss cheese, and two strips of smoky bacon.
Mine boasted an egg and Emmental as well, but in place of the strips of bacon were slices of Breton andouille Guéméné, a smoked pork intestine sausage. According to this website, “20 to 25 guts are required for one andouille!” What fun! With its concentric intestinal rings, the sausage was spectacularly chewy and undoubtedly unique.
The Astronomer was in a completely different mood from Mom and me and ordered a crêpe stuffed with goat cheese, spinach, and raisins. It was a touch plainer than what he had envisioned, but nothing that a dessert crêpe couldn’t rectify.
My final bite in Paris consisted of a warm and toasty crêpe drizzled with salted caramel and topped with a whole baked apple. It was sweet, salty, tart, and perfect.
The Astronomer’s lemon and honey crêpe suited him just right.
It was finally time to make our way home.
West Country Girl
6 Passage Saint-Ambroise
75011 Paris, France
Phone: 01 47 00 72 54
Dear, sweet memories…
- Afternoon Tea at Brown’s Hotel – London
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal – London
- Dinner is Served.
- St. John Bakery – London
- St. John Bar and Restaurant – London
- Sunday Roast at The Mall Tavern – London
- Chez l’Ami Jean – Paris
- Huîtrerie Régis – Paris
- L’Astrance – Paris
- Le Beurre Noisette – Paris
- Le Bistrot Paul Bert – Paris
- Le Chateaubriand – Paris
- Pistache. Citron vert-Basilic. Café. Caramel.
- Restaurant Joséphine “Chez Dumonet” – Paris
- Restaurant Pierre Gagnaire – Paris
- West Country Girl – Paris
- AOC – Avignon
- Ginette et Marcel – Avignon
- Lavender Waves of Lavender
- Sunday Market at L’Isle-sur-la-Sorgue
- In the Loire Valley: Searching for Châteaux, Finding Foie Gras and Goat Cheese Instead
- Le Turon – Tours
- Pastoral Ideal
- Les Terrasses de Corton – Ladoix-Serrigny
- On the Route des Grands Crus
- Route des Grands Crus – Burgundy
One year ago: Ngự Bình Restaurant – Westminster
Two years ago: Krispy Kreme Chicken Sandwich
Three years ago: Momofuku Ssäm Bar – New York City
Four years ago: Vegetation Profile: Bamboo Shoots
Five years ago: Dai Duong – Da Nang
Six years ago: Field Greens with Craisins, Mandarin Oranges, Goat Cheese & Balsamic Vinaigrette